Low Graphics Version 
About FolsomCity ServicesCalendarsDepartmentsOn-Line ServicesContact Us
Homepage > ... > Environmental & Water Resources (formerly Utilities) > Water > Water FAQ'sE-mail storyPrint friendly format


Can I use the City of Folsom meter stop or curb stop to shut off my water?
If you are unable to use your shut off valve please contact the City of Folsom Utilities Department for assistance.
Do I have to be home?
Yes.  Someone must be home to allow access to gated yards and to operate automatic controllers.
How do I get a free residential water survey?
Call the City of Folsom Water Management Program at 355-7252 to request a free residential water survey or click here to submit an online request.   Water surveys are scheduled on weekdays by appointment.  A survey will normally take up to one hour for a typical residence.
Is there Fluoride in my drinking water?
No. Folsom currently does not add fluoride to the drinking water.
What can I expect from a water survey?
City personnel will perform an exterior water-use survey which will include a site inspection and evaluation of irrigation equipment, soil composition, and the effectiveness of composition, watering schedules.

Brochures on water-wise landscaping will also be available.

Low-flow showerheads and other water conserving devices for indoor use will also be available.

What else do I need to know?
Water surveys are also available for schools, parks, and commercial business sites.

Presentations on water use issues are available for groups of educational events.

The United States Environmental Protection Agency website offers water a software program on  Residential Water Conservation Techniques.  This program shows effective ways to save water inside your home.  This free program can help save amazing amounts of water while protecting the environment.  The web address for the water conservation software program is http://www.epa.gov/seahome/watcon.html.
The EPA also offers a free downloadable program on planning Water Efficient Landscaping.  This program covers the basics of landscaping planning and provides guidelines and suggestions to help users select he most appropriate plants for their needs. To download the Landscape Planner go to http://www.epa.gov/grtlakes/seahome/landscp.html

What is the red staining I get around my bathroom fixtures?
There are typically two types of red staining that can occur.  The first is associated with Iron in the water.  Iron in the water has two sources; the first is from the supply.Systems that have a Ground Water Source (Wells) usually have higher levels of minerals, such as Iron, than do systems that have Surface Water Sources (Lakes & Rivers) such as Folsom.  The second source of Iron staining is old galvanized or steel household plumbing.  Water containing Iron will some times be discolored and will stain sinks, tubs, and clothes.  The second type of red staining is from an air bourn bacterium called Serratia marcescens.  This staining usually occurs during the warmer months of the year.  Serratia marcescens likes to grow in room temperature water, which is why it is found around water fixtures.  It only takes a drop of water to start the process.  This bacterium is easily controlled by using disinfecting household cleaners.
What is this stuff clogging up my faucet screens and aerators?
In some water systems calcium deposits or other mineral deposits from hard water can cause the aerator screens on faucets and appliance to become restricted.  However, Folsom has soft water; most likely, the particles found in aerators come from the hot water tank dip tube.  This is a PVC tube inside the hot water tank that has failed.  You can read more about this by searching the Web.  Type in Hot Water Dip Tube in your search engine.
What portion of the water service line am I responsible for in the event of a line break?
You are responsible for any lines after the water meter or city curb stop valve to your home.
Where can I find information about recycling?
Visit the link below or call the Solid Waste and Recycling Division at (916) 355-8367.



Where does Folsom’s water come from?
The City of Folsom receives its water exclusively from Folsom Lake.  The lake is supplied by the 1,875 sq. mi. American River Water Shed.  For residents and customers South of Lake Natoma, drinking water is supplied from the City’s 40 million gallon per day filtration plant.For Folsom residents and customers north of Nimbus Lake, drinking water is supplied from San Juan Water District’s filtration plant.
Where is my water meter or city curb stop valve located?
Typically the water meter or city curb stop valve is located near the front of your property at one corner or the other.
Where is my water shut off valve located?
Most houses have a shut off valve located on the front or side of the home where your garden hose connects.  You may have two valves at this location, one will be the shut off valve to your house and the other will shut off your sprinkler system if you have one.



Who do I call if I have questions or concerns about my drinking water?
Contact the Utility Departments Water Quality Division by phone or email.  The phone number is 916-355-8338 and our email address is waterquality@folsom.ca.us.
Who do I contact regarding backflow prevention devices and testing?
For questions regarding backflow prevention devices and testing please contact Bob Richerson at (916)355-8336 or by email at  bricherson@folsom.ca.us
Why is it that sometimes the water from my faucets comes out cloudy white and in 20 seconds it clears from the bottom up?
The water in our storage reservoirs is cold and not under pressure. When it enters the transmission and distribution mains it is now under pressure. Cold water holds more air than warm water and the solubility of air increases when water is under pressure. When the water finally reaches your home it has warmed up and the air in the water is no longer soluble so when you turn on your faucet and fill your glass the water is no longer under pressure and the air bubbles are released causing cloudy water. The air bubbles rise to the surface and pop and your glass clears from the bottom up. This in no way jeopardizes the integrity of the water and is completely harmless.  
Why should I schedule a water survey?
Up to 50% of residential water use is outside the home.  A water use survey will give you important information on improving the effectiveness of your landscape irrigation.
Show all Categories
Powered byCivica Software