The City of Folsom Program for Local Assistance Youth Recreation Scholarships (PLAYRS) strives to provide financial assistance for all Folsom youth residents desiring to participate in City of Folsom recreation activities who could not otherwise due to financial restrictions. Please read the following instructions completely before filling out the application. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Click here for a printable version of the application.
Guidelines have been established to assist resident families. PLAYRS scholarships are based on need, merit and amount of funding available.
- Each eligible participant generally receives up to 50% of the activity registration fee paid to a maximum amount of $100 per year (12-month period) upon completion and approval of the application.
- PLAYRS scholarship applications and appropriate documentation must be completed and submitted 14 (fourteen) calendar days prior to the first day of the activity for which assistance is requested.
- PLAYRS scholarships are awarded for activity registration fees only; not for supplies or other costs.
- PLAYRS scholarships will not be applied to past registrations.
- Any past due Folsom Parks and Recreation accounts must be brought current before a PLAYRS scholarship application is considered.
- PLAYRS scholarship recipients are responsible for their own transportation to and from activity sites.
- PLAYRS scholarship recipients who do not attend the activity regularly may be ineligible for future scholarships.
- Refund and Cancellation Policies apply towards the portion paid for by the recipient/parent only.
- To use any portion of the PLAYRS scholarship, you must notify staff at time of registration.
If the applicant has been awarded and used the $100 PLAYRS scholarship in the past 12-months, the applicant is not eligible to apply at this time. To determine eligibility for a PLAYRS scholarship, answer the following questions:
- Does the youth live in the City of Folsom?
- Is the youth 17 years of age or younger?
- Can the youth commit to attend/participate in 80% of the activity?
If you answered “no” to any of the above questions, you are not eligible for a PLAYRS scholarship. If you answered “yes” to all of the above questions, you are eligible and you must qualify for or be currently receiving assistance from one or more of the Federal/State/County Programs listed below:
- Free or Reduced School Lunch Program (FCUSD)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Aid for Dependent Children (AFDC)
- Foster Care
- Food Stamps / CalFresh Program / Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs)
- Kinship Guardianship Assistance Payment Program (Kin-GAP)
- Unemployment through job loss in excess of 90 days
Participants eligible for the PLAYRS scholarship program will remain confidential and will be treated in the same manner as those participants that pay full price for the same service. No family will be discriminated against because of race, color, gender, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, or disability.
All PLAYRS scholarship applications and attachments are confidential and shall be used exclusively for the PLAYRS scholarship program and no other purpose. The applications and attachments shall not be disclosed by the parties, or their respective attorneys, to any person, corporation, firm, or entity of any type except as provided by law. None of the parties hereto shall disclose the terms of these applications and/or attachments, or provide an original or a copy of all, or any portion thereof to anyone, except for the following:
- To the extent necessary to obtain tax advice or file tax returns concerning the program;
- To the extent necessary to comply with a lawful order or process of a court of competent jurisdiction;
- To the extent necessary to comply with the application process;
- Upon written consent of the parties, or a request for information from an authorized taxing authority;
- To comply with a lawful request under the California Public Records Act.
- Complete the PLAYRS application. An application must be completed for each youth. Applications are reviewed on a case by case basis. Application must be signed by a parent/guardian.
- Attach the official document(s) signifying from which program the child is receiving aid. If such documents are not available, a school employee, social worker, or case worker must sign the form to verify qualification.
- Attach proof of Folsom residency, such as a copy of a recent utility bill.
- Completed application and required documentation must be submitted 14 (fourteen) calendar days prior to the first day of the activity for which assistance is requested to the City of Folsom Parks and Recreation Department at 48 Natoma Street, Folsom, CA 95630. Incomplete applications and/or lack of documentation will be considered incomplete and application will be denied. For questions regarding the application, please call 916-355-7285.
- The City of Folsom Parks and Recreation Department will notify the applicant upon approval/denial of the PLAYRS scholarship application.
- Upon approval of the PLAYRS scholarship, applicants may register for an activity, if space is available, at the Folsom Parks and Recreation Counter at 48 Natoma Street. The PLAYRS scholarship recipient or recipient’s parent/guardian must pay the remaining amount of the activity registration at time of registration.
Examples of How the PLAYRS Scholarship Can Be Applied:
- Activity #1 Registration is $80; PLAYRS scholarship is $40; Recipient pays $40; a maximum of $60 available for recipient to use on other activities throughout the 12-month period.
- Within the same 12-month period, Activity #2 Registration is $125. The remaining PLAYRS scholarship is $60; recipient pays $65.
- Note: the applicant/recipient may apply for another PLAYRS scholarship after the current scholarship 12-month period expires.
- Aquatic Center Season Family Pass is $150; PLAYRS scholarship is $75; Recipient pays $75. The Scholarship amount will be split between the eligible youth covered under theSeason Family Pass. If the Season Family Pass is for two PLAYRS scholarship eligible youth, $37.50 will be applied towards each scholarship, leaving a maximum of $62.50 available for each scholarship recipient to use on other activities throughout the 12-month period. If only one youth is eligible, a maximum of $25 is available for use on other activities throughout the 12-month period. If the Season Family Pass is for three PLAYRS scholarship eligible youth, $25 will be applied towards each scholarship, leaving a maximum of $75 available for each scholarship recipient to use on other activities throughout the 12-month period.