Folsom Zoo Sanctuary Docent Program
Our next Docent Training program takes place
in winter/spring 2016
Do you enjoy working with children and animals, want to make a difference, and have fun doing it? If you answered "Yes!", then consider joining the Docent team. We are training new Docents to host school tours, assist with events, and help with other ongoing zoo activities. At the conclusion of the training, there will be qualifying exams. For more information about becoming a Zoo Docent, call (916) 351-3513, or e-mail email@example.com.
Click Here for Volunteer Application
We appreciate hard-working volunteers who enjoy contributing to the Zoo's many projects.
Zookeeper Aide (Must be 16 years or older, POSITIONS LIMITED.)
Prior to starting please submit the following items. If you do not have these items ready your application will be delayed as you cannot volunteer without them.
· A completed application
· Proof of a tetanus vaccination within the past 10 years. If you do not receive vaccines due to health or other reasons, please submit a letter stating that information.
· A copy of a TB skin test showing a negative response, performed within 6 months of your start date.
· A letter of Intent (a short one paragraph letter that tells us why you want to volunteer at the Folsom Zoo Sanctuary)
· A letter of recommendation from someone who has known you at least 5 years.
· A brief resume listing previous employment history and skills acquired. (e.g.: office skills, web design, any animal related experience, maintenance and horticultural skills etc.)
· Please note that after being accepted to the program there is a $20.00 fee payable to The Folsom City Zoo Sanctuary to help contribute towards a volunteer tee shirt, a name tag, manual and training. (Scholarships are available to help with part or all of this cost if needed).
· Before your first day of volunteer service Live Scan Fingerprints and Results are required. You will receive the documents and instructions at the time you are accepted into the program.
Please consider before applying whether you are able to commit to at least 12 to 16 hours per month with a 12 month commitment. This is the absolute minimum requirement, and allows staff the time to train you so you are able to work around our animal exhibits. Internships, Community Service and School Programs will be considered on a case by case basis and as staffing allows.
Please also note that volunteers will work primarily with Zookeepers, but will be working independently at times. Volunteers will also have the opportunity to learn about the individual animals, behaviors and training techniques while working at the zoo.
Please be aware that zoo keeping is a very labor intensive job and will involve raking grounds, hosing, lifting up to 50lbs and although it is not common there is always the potential to be exposed to zoonotic diseases when you work with animals. You will be required to work in all weather conditions, and when you sign up to volunteer on the calendar you will be expected to be on time and ready to work! If you are unable to work on a day when you have signed up to come in, you must call the main zoo number at 916-351-3527 before your start time to let keepers know. If you are consistently absent you will be dropped from the program. If you think that this program will be too intense, we do have a Horticultural, Grounds, Gift Shop and Docent Volunteer Programs that are less labor intensive.
Normal work hours at the zoo begin at 8am until 4.30pm. Volunteer shifts are from 8:30am – 12:30pm or 1:00pm-4:30pm. We limit our volunteers to only 6 people per day maximum, so early sign up is encouraged. (Summer hours 7:00am – 3:30pm begin June 1st – August 31st and volunteers may start their shift at 7.30am or 1:00pm or remain on the 8:30am or 1:30pm schedule.
Click here for an application form. (Use this form for ALL volunteer positions.) Print out, complete all sections, and mail to: Jill Lute, Folsom City Zoo Sanctuary, 403, Stafford Street, Folsom, CA 95630. Email is the preferred method of contact email Jill Lute.
If your company would like to fulfill some community service hours, we can arrange, by appointment, a work day for your business. Projects may include weeding an exhibit, planting trees and shrubs throughout the zoo, helping move and tidy equipment, raking and hosing grounds, staining fences and gates, painting out buildings, and a wealth of other jobs that will keep your group busy for as long as you want! We can schedule your work day for a few hours on one day, up to several full days per work project. We can normally work within your time frame and other commitments. Ages 16+
Horticultural Volunteer - spaces limited.
Work with other volunteers to help maintain and beautify the Zoo's gardens. Schedules can be flexible, but we do require a commitment of 8 hours/month. Please contact Jill Lute for more information via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out an application form and mark it Horticultural Volunteer. Ages 18+
Grounds Keeper Volunteer - spaces limited.
If you like to keep things tidy, clean and enjoy working outside around wildlife then this is the volunteer position for you! The Folsom City Zoo Sanctuary needs reliable volunteers to work from 8am - 10am (7am - 9am summer hours) any day of the week/weekend hosing and raking the public grounds throughout the zoo. Please let us know if you are interested and your availability. Contact Jill Lute or fill out an application form and mark it Grounds Keeper Volunteer. Ages 16+
Applicant should enjoy interaction with the public and learning about the animals living at the Folsom City Zoo Sanctuary. You will receive training from Docents and Zoo Staff to assist with educating the public in the form of zoo tours. You will also have the option to participate in outreach presentations, classes and events, and serve as a Helpful Answer Person. Ages 21+
Basic Docent Requirements
- Have an active interest in animals and people
- Complete docent training course
- Pass background security check
Complete Folsom City Zoo Sanctuary Volunteer Application
Docent training occurs annually, Click here to view next classes. Contact (916) 351-3513 or email@example.com for more information.
ROP Students - (Regional Occupational Program.) Spaces are limited.
Work at the zoo to fulfill your ROP requirements. Please contact Jill Lute for more information.
Eagle Scout Projects
Please follow the link for information about the Eagle Scout Program offered by the Folsom City Zoo Sanctuary. Projects will be taken on a case by case basis. Contact Jill Lute at firstname.lastname@example.org Donate your recyclables
Don't forget that the zoo ill accept your CRV value aluminum cans, plastic bottles ONLY PLEASE. NOTE: WE ARE NOT ACCEPTING GLASS BOTTLES ANYMORE DUE TO THE SAFETY HAZARD. We cannot take any recyclable items that do not have a CRV value. It would be helpful if you could bag them seperately eg: cans in one bag, bottles in another etc. Just drop them off at the zoo during normal zoo hours. All monies raised go towards beautifying our zoo! Our beautiful recycled-recycling containers (as above) have been funded by ADEMAS FOUNDATION, Los Angeles, as well as our ADA accessible picnic tables and umbrellas! Our recycling containers are made by MIDPOINT INTERNATIONAL from 100% HDPE recycled milk jugs! The recyclling program is a great success and raises between $50 and $100 per week for the zoo animals! Thank you!
Donate your Airline miles
Your donation of airline miles and/or hotel points will enable zoo keepers to travel to educational conferences and training courses that will benefit the animals. Please check with your airline and/or hotel chain on how to "gift" some miles/points to the Folsom City Zoo Sanctuary.
Donate your Cash!
If you would like to make a donation to the zoo you can choose any of the following:
- Visit the zoo during the hours of 10am - 4pm Tuesday - Sunday and drop off your donation at the ticket booth.
- Write a check and mail it to 403, Stafford Street, Folsom, CA 95630, if you wish your donation to go towards a specific project stipulate on the check.
- Call (916) 351-3527 during Tuesday - Sunday from 10am - 4pm and we can accept donations using your credit card.
- Visit the "Friends" website to donate on-line.
Donate your shopping power
- http://www.target.com/ Go to Gift Registries. Then Club Wedd. Then Friends of the Folsom Zoo (in the spot for "first name")
- http://www.sanctuarysupplies.com/ Go to Wish Lists. Then Folsom City Zoo Sanctuary.
- Gift Cards are also very much appreciated. Donate your company skills
Money isn’t everything! Individuals, firms and organizations often donate needed services, building materials, and items for special events. If your company would like to get involved contact Jill Lute.