DOCENT TRAINING TO VOLUNTEER AT THE ZOO
Do you like Children? Do you like animals? do you want to make a difference and have fun doing it? If you answered, "Yes," to any of the questions, then consider joining the zoo volunteer team. We are training new docents to help host school tours and other ongoing zoo activities. At the conclusion of the training, there will be qualifying exams.
Fee: $40 ages 21 and over (includes docent training manual and nametag)
Call (916) 351-3513 or email email@example.com for more information
Click Here for Volunteer Application
We appreciate hard-working volunteers who enjoy contributing to the Zoo's many projects.
Zookeeper Aide (Must be 16 years or older, POSITIONS LIMITED.)
Prior to starting please submit the following items. If you do not have these items ready your application will be delayed as you cannot volunteer without them.
· A completed application
· Proof of a tetanus vaccination within the past 10 years. If you do not receive vaccines due to health or other reasons, please submit a letter stating that information.
· A copy of a TB skin test showing a negative response, performed within 6 months of your start date.
· A letter of Intent (a short one paragraph letter that tells us why you want to volunteer at the Folsom Zoo Sanctuary)
· A letter of recommendation from someone who has known you at least 5 years.
· A brief resume listing previous employment history and skills acquired. (e.g.: office skills, web design, any animal related experience, maintenance and horticultural skills etc.)
· Please note that after being accepted to the program there is a $20.00 fee payable to The Folsom City Zoo Sanctuary to help contribute towards a volunteer tee shirt, a name tag, manual and training. (Scholarships are available to help with part or all of this cost if needed).
· Before your first day of volunteer service Live Scan Fingerprints and Results are required. You will receive the documents and instructions at the time you are accepted into the program.
Please consider before applying whether you are able to commit to at least 12 to 16 hours per month with a 12 month commitment. This is the absolute minimum requirement, and allows staff the time to train you so you are able to work around our animal exhibits. Internships, Community Service and School Programs will be considered on a case by case basis and as staffing allows.
Please also note that volunteers will work primarily with Zookeepers, but will be working independently at times. Volunteers will also have the opportunity to learn about the individual animals, behaviors and training techniques while working at the zoo.
Please be aware that zoo keeping is a very labor intensive job and will involve raking grounds, hosing, lifting up to 50lbs and although it is not common there is always the potential to be exposed to zoonotic diseases when you work with animals. You will be required to work in all weather conditions, and when you sign up to volunteer on the calendar you will be expected to be on time and ready to work! If you are unable to work on a day when you have signed up to come in, you must call the main zoo number at 916-351-3527 before your start time to let keepers know. If you are consistently absent you will be dropped from the program. If you think that this program will be too intense, we do have a Horticultural, Grounds, Gift Shop and Docent Volunteer Programs that are less labor intensive.
Normal work hours at the zoo begin at 8am until 4.30pm. Volunteer shifts are from 8:30am – 12:30pm or 1:00pm-4:30pm. We limit our volunteers to only 6 people per day maximum, so early sign up is encouraged. (Summer hours 7:00am – 3:30pm begin June 1st – August 31st and volunteers may start their shift at 7.30am or 1:00pm or remain on the 8:30am or 1:30pm schedule.
Click here for an application form. (Use this form for ALL volunteer positions.) Print out, complete all sections, and mail to: Jill Lute, Folsom City Zoo Sanctuary, 403, Stafford Street, Folsom, CA 95630. Email is the preferred method of contact email Jill Lute.
- If your company would like to fulfill some community service hours, we can arrange, by appointment, a work day for your business. Projects may include weeding an exhibit, planting trees and shrubs throughout the zoo, helping move and tidy equipment, raking and hosing grounds, staining fences and gates, painting out buildings, and a wealth of other jobs that will keep your group busy for as long as you want! We can schedule your work day for a few hours on one day, up to several full days per work project. We can normally work within your time frame and other commitments. Ages 16+
Horticultural Volunteer - spaces limited.
- Work with other volunteers to help maintain and beautify the Zoo's gardens. Schedules can be flexible, but we do require a commitment of 8 hours/month. Please contact Jill Lute for more information via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out an application form and mark it Horticultural Volunteer. Ages 18+
Grounds Keeper Volunteer - spaces limited.
If you like to keep things tidy, clean and enjoy working outside around wildlife then this is the volunteer position for you! The Folsom City Zoo Sanctuary needs reliable volunteers to work from 8am - 10am (7am - 9am summer hours) any day of the week/weekend hosing and raking the public grounds throughout the zoo. Please let us know if you are interested and your availability. Contact Jill Lute or fill out an application form and mark it Grounds Keeper Volunteer. Ages 16+
Applicant should enjoy interaction with the public and learning about the animals living at the Folsom City Zoo Sanctuary. You will receive training from Docents and Zoo Staff to assist with educating the public in the form of zoo tours. You will also have the option to participate in outreach presentations, classes and events, and serve as a Helpful Answer Person. Ages 21+
Basic Docent Requirements
- Have an active interest in animals and people
- Complete docent training course
- Pass background security check
Complete Folsom City Zoo Sanctuary Volunteer Application
Docent training occurs annually, Click here to view next classes. Contact (916) 351-3513 or email@example.com for more information.
ROP Students - (Regional Occupational Program.) Spaces are limited.
Work at the zoo to fulfill your ROP requirements. Please contact Jill Lute for more information.
Gift Shop (Must be 18 years or older.)
Volunteer in the zoo sanctuary gift shop on weekends and have fun meeting zoo visitors, other volunteers and selling souvenir items! Retail experience helpful, but not necessary. Call 916 351-3527 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.