Neighborhood Traffic Management Plan
The Neighborhood Traffic Management Plan (NTMP) is a set of guidelines intended to provide a framework for the selection, application and design of traffic calming measures in the City of Folsom. It includes a formal process for the implementation of traffic calming measures in neighborhoods and a toolbox of potential traffic calming measures. The guidelines provide a process for City staff and community members to identify various traffic problems experienced in existing neighborhoods (i.e. high speeds, traffic volumes, cut-through traffic) and provide a way to develop effective traffic calming solutions.
The goal of the NTMP is to improve neighborhood livability and quality of life by reducing safety and nuisance impacts from speeding vehicles, cut-through traffic, and careless drivers in residential neighborhoods. The NTMP will strive to promote safe and pleasant conditions for all users of local streets.
- Improve driver awareness, concentration and behavior
- Reduce the 85th percentile travel speeds within 5 mph of the posted speed limit for residential and collector streets
- Reduce the number and/or reduce the severity of reported collision
- Reduce cut-through traffic where existing levels are significant and where the remedy will not create a problem on other residential or collector streets
- Enhance the neighborhood environment for residents and business owners as indicated by their sense of safety, property values, comfort in using the street and reduced traffic related complaints
- Minimize impacts to public safety response routes