Driving in wet weather can be hazardous. Here are some useful hints and tips from the Folsom Police Department to stay safe this rainy season.
Preparing Your Car
• Are your windshield wipers in good condition?
• Do your tires have plenty of tread and are they properly inflated?
• Is the defroster working properly?
• Are the vehicle’s head and brake lights working?
• Are the brakes in good condition?
Driving in Rain
• Slow down and keep extra space between you and the car in front of you
• Allow extra travel time to your destination
• Defog your windows
• Never drive your car through deep water on a flooded road
• Keep your headlights on and use low beams in fog
• Be aware of the spray coming from passing trucks ands oncoming cars
• Brake gently to avoid skidding or hydroplaning
• Do not use cruise control
• Wear your seatbelt
• Turn down the radio and avoid using your cell phone
• If conditions become too intense, pull far off the road in a safe place to wait out the storm