Halloween Safety Tips from the Folsom Police Department
Dressing up and trick-or-treating make Halloween an exciting night for many Folsom families. Keep your kids safe with these simple tips from the Folsom Police Department.
- Make sure that costumes and wigs are flame resistant.
- Choose light or brightly colored costumes and consider adding reflective tape or striping to the costume and trick or treat bags for greater visibility.
- Know that masks can block or severely limit your child’s vision. Consider costumes that do not require masks, using a wig and makeup instead.
- Be sure that shoes are comfortable and fit properly.
- Find a costume that is comfortable, fits well and allows your child to move easily without tripping.
- Have each child carry a flashlight with fresh batteries and/or a glow stick to use after it gets dark.
- Discuss proper and appropriate behavior that you expect from your child before leaving the house.
- Have a meeting point in case you and your child get separated.
Set a time for older children to return home.
Safety while trick-or-treating
- Do not let your children eat any treats until you have checked them for safety.
- Plan your child’s route.
- Only trick or treat in familiar neighborhoods.
- Safer alternatives to neighborhood trick-or-treating are family parties and community sponsored events.
- Travel in groups to be more visible. Have parents stay with younger children at all times.
- Walk, don’t run. Walk on sidewalks and never cut across yards or driveways.
- Never enter a stranger’s home.
- Be cautious of all vehicle traffic.
- Have your child tell you of any suspicious acting people
- Check all candy thoroughly before letting your child eat any. Check for loose wrappers and holes in any candy or wrapper.
- Do not eat homemade treats unless you know and trust the person who gave it to your child.
- While at home handing out treats, don’t open the door for anyone who makes you feel uncomfortable and never let strangers inside your home.
If you see any activity that you feel is suspicious, report it to the Folsom Police Department at 916-355-7231.