Fireworks Safety Tips
Fourth of July fireworks are a favorite Folsom tradition, but did you know that more fires are reported on this day than on any other day of the year in the United States? Nearly half of these fires are caused by fireworks. The good news is you can enjoy the festivities and fireworks with just a few simple safety tips:
- Be sure to purchase “Safe and Sane” fireworks that bear the State Fire Marshal’s seal. If fireworks explode or leave the ground, it is illegal in California.
- Store fireworks in a cool, dry place.
- Read and follow all directions.
- When using legal fireworks, only set them off outdoors, in a clear area, away from homes, dry leaves, or grass and other flammable materials.
- Supervise children and be sure other people are out of range before lighting.
- Always have a bucket of water for disposal of fireworks, and a hose connected to water in case of fire.
- Do not try to relight or handle malfunctioning fireworks. Soak them with water and throw them away.
- Know that use of fireworks on all bike trails and open spaces in thecity is prohibited.
- Use of fireworks in the city’s parks is discouraged and regulated by city ordinance #1052.