Sorry, this page has moved!
Please click here to go to the new location.

Preparing For Household Hazardous Waste Pickups

Terms of Service/Instructions

The City of Folsom provides for the collection of common Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) from residences and businesses through individual appointments.  When using our program please follow these simple guidelines:


Please limit the quantities for each residential pick up to a combined total of: five gallons of antifreeze, five gallons of used motor oil, and 10 one-gallon cans and two five-gallon pails of paint or paint related material.  In addition to these quantities, other types of HHW should not exceed a total of five gallons or 50 pounds plus 125 pounds of Universal Waste.


ONLY material generated from Folsom residences and businesses may be picked up.  No material from outside the Folsom city limits will be accepted.

Unacceptable Items

 We cannot accept the following: business, commercial or industrial hazardous waste (except Universal Waste), large compressed gas cylinders (greater than seven gallons), biological or infectious waste, medical waste (except pharmaceuticals), explosives (fireworks, ammunition, black powder, blasting caps, marine flares), radioactive waste (ionizing smoke detectors, Tritium signs), Asbestos (friable and non-friable), leaking containers or containers larger than five gallons, non-hazardous waste (tires, appliances, treated wood waste use our Neighborhood Clean Up Program).

We do not pick up empty containers. Completely empty containers with no substantial free liquid in them (e.g., less than a tablespoon) are considered non-hazardous and should be disposed in the trash or recycling bin depending on the container material type. Leave the lid or caps off. Call the Solid Waste Division at 916-461-6730 to find out if a particular container type (glass, plastic, metal or fiberboard) can go in your blue recycling cart. 

We will not accept unacceptable items or excessive quantities from any residence or business.  At our sole discretion, any quantities exceeding the stated limits may be left behind or refused.  Additional appointments can be made, as necessary, for waste pick up within the required limitations.


Acceptable Items

Please visit our Identifying HHW page for a listing of acceptable items.  If you are not sure if we accept something give us a call at 916-461-6730.

How To Schedule A Residential HHW Pick Up

1)  Visit our HHW identification page to determine if what you have is HHW. Follow our instructions on how to safely package your waste.

2)  Help us make your service as efficient as possible by collecting all of your hazardous waste for your appointment according to the quantities and limitations above.

3)  Schedule a pickup online or by calling the Hazardous Materials Customer Service line at 916-461-6730.

4)  When on the reservation page, select your geographical region for Monday, Wednesday or Friday pick up (except for official City holidays).

5)  Remember, Door 2 Door HHW collection is available ONLY to City of Folsom residences.


How To Put Your HHW Out For Pickup

þ Place your items at the bottom of your driveway not on the sidewalk, curb or street.

þ Have your items out by 7:30 a.m. on the day of your pickup. 

þ Make sure that all containers don't leak and that rain cannot infiltrate. 

þ Make sure pets or people can not get into your waste.

þ Don't mix or place incompatible wastes together. See below for incompatible waste types.

Containers that are completely empty can be recycled (with the lids off) in your blue recycle toter. 

For Businesses Or Non-residential Customers

Only Universal Waste can be collected from these entities. 

Please call 916-461-6730 to arrange a non-residential pick up.  For more program guidelines visit the
non-residential page.

Safely Prepare Your HHW For Pickup

Always ensure that your containers are not leaking. If you have a container that is leaking, or it compromised, brittle, or you think it may leak, place the item in a Ziploc bag or in a plastic bucket.  Gasoline or other flammable liquids must be in a container approved for flammable liquids.  Do not pour flammable liquids into a generic plastic pail or bucket whether or not it has a lid.  Any containers put out for pick up will NOT be returned.  If you would like to keep your approved flammable liquid container, you can make an appointment to bring it in to us by calling (916) 461-6730. We will pour out the flammable liquid and give your container back to you.

Household batteries should be placed in separate bags or containers according to their chemistry.  Alkaline or carbon zinc are the most common type of single use batteries.  They can be placed together in plastic or paper bags, glass or plastic containers, or cardboard boxes.    Nickel Cadmium (NiCd) and Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMh) batteries of 9 volts or less can be handled like alkaline batteries.  However, NiCd batteries more than 9 volts must have at least the positive terminal taped or be placed individually in a plastic bag.  Sealed Lead Acid and Lithium batteries (rechargeable and non-rechargeable) all MUST be taped or placed individually in bags to prevent short circuiting.  Please handle Lithium batteries with care as they are know to start fires or explode when mixed together with other lithium or non-lithium batteries. Do not store ANY battery in a metal container.  Any leaking batteries should be placed individually in plastic zip lock bags.

When we pick up your waste, we will not return the containers that hold the waste. For example, if you leave out gas cans or oil change kits (except those provided by the City), they will not be returned.  If you need your container back call us at 916-461-6730 to arrange to bring the container to our facility and we will empty it for you. 

If your waste is in containers other than original packaging e.g., waste oil in a two-liter soda bottle, write a description of the contents on the container. If the contents are mixed, write the mixture on the container. For example, if you have some water or antifreeze in your waste oil, write on the container "oil/antifreeze" or "contaminated oil."


An effective way to package used oil filters is to simply put them inside a sealed zip lock bag before placing them in a box to put on your driveway for pickup.


Package your fluorescent lamps so they will not break.  What if I break a CFL in my house? The US EPA has established new guidelines for cleaning up broken CFLs.

Keep These Waste Types Separated

(pesticides and herbicides)




It is very important that you keep incompatible chemicals from coming into contact with each other.  Do not mix chemicals. Mixing chemicals can create significant hazards to your health and property.