Sorry, this page has moved!
Please click here to go to the new location.

Alcohol Permits

City of Folsom Alcohol Ordinance

Drinking alcohol or carrying open containers in public places is prohibited in the City of Folsom. A new ordinance, which took effect on April 22, 2005, requires permits to consume alcohol in parks and other public places.

Who needs a permit and what is the cost?
Adults 21 years of age and older must obtain a permit to consume alcohol in public places. The fee for an alcohol permit is $10.

Where are permits issued for picnics or special events in Folsom’s parks?
The Parks and Recreation Department issues permits for groups renting park pavilions or group gatherings at parks. Adults may apply for permits seven days a week through various locations including the Folsom Community Center, the Senior and Art Center at 48 Natoma, the Folsom Aquatic Center, the Folsom Sports Complex, and the Folsom Zoo Sanctuary. Call 355-7285 for the hours of operation at each location.

Is drinking allowed near children’s play areas?
The Folsom Municipal Code prohibits drinking in children’s play areas and play fields, including the Aquatic Center, Cummings Family Park and the Ernie Sheldon Youth Sports Complex.

Is alcohol consumption allowed at Lembi Park?
Yes; the Folsom Athletic Association has a state-issued license for the sale of alcoholic beverages at Lembi Park. Alcohol consumption is only allowed through purchase at the concession stand.

Why are permits required?
The City received numerous complaints about people drinking in city parks and other public places. The intent is to enhance the enjoyment of city facilities for all residents and visitors. Most other cities have laws prohibiting or limiting alcohol use.

What is the penalty for violating the ordinance?
The first two offenses are infractions, punishable by a fine up to $100 for the first offense and $200 for the second. The third offense is a misdemeanor.