Carbon Monoxide Detectors: Is it true that carbon monoxide detectors are required in homes?

Yes, California passed a law that requires carbon monoxide detectors in single family homes after July 1, 2011. For information about the law and the types of detectors, click on this link to view the State Bulletin.

The City's Code Enforcement Division is responsible for enforcement of this change the the California Building and Residential Codes.


Needle Disposal: Does the Fire Department accept hypodermic needles and lancets (sharps)?

Yes, Folsom Fire Station 35 (535 Glenn Drive)  is the collection site for the City's Sharps Disposal Program. The containers may be dropped off ONLY if a Fire Department attendant is present to accept it. Sharps can only be accepted if they are sealed inside of an approved sharps container, or unused and in the originally sealed package. Approved sharps containers can be obtained at Station 35.


Fire Extinguishers: A person came to my business and told me they needed to service my fire extinguishers or the Fire Department would close me down. Is that true?

No, that is not true. Fire extinguishers must be serviced annualy by a licensed service company of your choosing. If an out-of-date extinguisher is found during a fire department inspection, you will be given a correction notice with a specified time to make the correction.

Unfortunately, there have been a number of fraudulent practices, including people impersonating fire inspectors or fire protection companies and demanding immediate payment for their inspection or service.

For tips on avoiding these scams, download our information sheet.


AED: Where can I find more information about the California State Law that requires health clubs or studios have an Automatic External Defibrillator (AED) Program?

Health & Safety Code Section 104113 mandates that health clubs have an AED.


After a Fire: What do I do after a fire in my residence?

Click below for informational booklet named "After the Fire."


Barbecuing: Can I use a barbecue on my apartment or condominium balcony?

Barbeques used in multi-family housing are regulated under California Fire Code Section 308. This section allows the use use of charcoal-burning barbeques and propane (LPG) barbeques with a gas container no larger than one pound on apartment or condominium balconies only if the building and the balcony is protected by an automatic fire sprinkler system. Propane (LPG) barbeques with a gas container capacity of over one pound are prohibited on baconies of multi-family housing (Note: the container size on most common "backyard" LPG barbeques is twenty pounds.) if barbeques are used, they must be located away from combustible materials. We recommend having a fire extinguisher immediately accessible in case of fire. 


Blood Pressure: My doctor has requested I have my blood pressure checked, and I was told the Fire Department will do that. Is this true?

Yes, you can stop by any of our fire stations and our firefighters are all trained to do that for you. Please keep in mind that emergency calls may inhibit the firefighter's availability at the time of your visit.


Burning: When am I allowed to burn wood in a fireplace or fire-pit?

Sacramento County Air Quality Regulations govern the burning of any solid fuel, including wood, manufactured logs, or pellets in indoor or outdoor fireplaces, wood stoves, firepits, and chimineas. Before burning, check for restrictions by calling 1-877-662-8765 or at Sacramento Metropolitan Air Quality Management District.

Burning trash or any material that creates noxious odors is prohibited by the Folsom Municipal Code.


Can I store combustible materials in my side yard?

Folsom Fire Code, Section 8.36.020, International Fire Code- Adopted by Reference and Section 8.36.080 Amendments, Additions, and Deletions, Sub-Section 315.4 Outside Storage states: “Outside Storage of combustible materials shall not be located within 10 feet of a structure or lot line.” The California Fire Code, Section 315.4 Outside Storage, allows two exceptions to the 10-foot requirement:
1. The separation distance is allowed to be reduced to 3 feet for storage not exceeding 6 feet in height.
2. The separation distance is allowed to be reduced where the fire code official determines that no hazard to the adjoining property exists.
Many City lots have a side yard setback dimension of only 5 feet, therefore the Fire Chief will allow only City-owned containers (garbage, recycling, and green waste) to be stored in the side yard when it is not wide enough to meet the requirements listed above. The storage must allow for an emergency responder to walk alongside the structure and an occupant to safety exit to a public way. No other combustible storage is allowed in a side yard unless if it meets the requirements listed above.

CPR: Does the Fire Department offer CPR classes?

No, but you may contact the Red Cross or the American Heart Association for their list of offerings.


Credit Card Payments: Can I pay with a credit card over the phone?

No, the City of Folsom cannot accept payment of any fees by credit card at this time. Acceptable forms of payment are checks, cash and money orders. For proper credit, please include your invoice number with any payment.


Do other area fire agencies have similar fees?

Yes. Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District, Sacramento City Fire Department and El Dorad Hill County.

Fire Code Compliance: How much time do I have to comply with the fire code?

A Fire Prevention Officer will issue you an inspection report detailing all the conditions that violate the fire code and could cause a fire and endanger life and/or property. These deficiencies must be corrected immediately. A re-inspection to verify the abatement of the deficiencies noted will be coordinated with the business owner and the Fire Prevention Officer. Failure to correct the deficiencies prior to the first re-inspection date will result in the issuance of a final correction notice and another date will be identified to verify compliance. Deficiencies not corrected on the second re-inspection may result in monetary civil penalties in accordance with FMC Chapter 1.09. These civil penalties will be above and beyond the inspection fees. Additionally, if the violation is of a serious life safety nature or shows a pattern of non-compliance, a criminal citation may be issued.


Fire Extinguishers: Can the fire department service or recharge my fire extinguisher?

No, the Fire Department does not perform the annual servicing of fire extinguishers required by the State Fire Marshal; however, this correction might be noted as part of a Fire Department inspection. Fire extinguishers must be serviced or recharged by a state-licensed company. You can find one listed in the yellow pages under "fire extinguishers". We do not recommend any one company.


Fire Inspection: What is a fire inspection?

Inspectors inspect commercial buildings, facilities and multi-family housing units. The purpose of the inspection is multifold:

  • To reduce the risk to people
  • To educate business and property owners about fire and life safety
  • To identify and correct fire code violations
  • To provide less demand on public emergency services by reducing fire and life safety risks


Fire Permit: How can I obtain a Fire Permit Application?

Fire Department Permit Application Form


Fire Sprinkler Plans: Do I submit my application and plans for fire sprinkler systems, fire alarm systems, or other fire protection systems to the Fire Department?

Yes.  All submittals for plan review or permits for new construction or alterations to existing buildings, including fire protection systems, must be submitted at the Permit and Planning counter at City Hall, 50 Natoma Street, 916-461-6201. Click on the link below for more information.

Planning Counter  


Firefighter Qualifications: How can I become a firefighter? What steps should I take?

Firefighter Qualifications


Fireworks: Where can I use "Safe and Sane" fireworks during the 4th of July?

"Safe and Sane" can be used throughout the City of Folsom from noon on June 28th through midnight on the 4th of July with some exceptions. Fireworks are not allowed in most city parks or on bike trails. They can be used on public streets, as well as in your yard or driveway. Fireworks are prohibited these locations.

You can also find information on the main fireworks page.


How can I prepare for cold weather?

Cold Weather Safety Tips

  1. Preparing Your Home and Family
    • Review and update your family emergency plan.
    • Replenish your emergency supply kits including battery-operated radio and flashlights.
    • Have extra blankets on hand.
    • Have a plan for meeting the needs of infants, children, seniors and those with disabilities.
    • Winterize your house, barn, shed or any other structure that may provide shelter for your family, neighbors, livestock or equipment. Clear rain gutters; repair roof leaks and cut away tree branches that could fall on a house or other structure during a storm.
    • Move family pets indoors or to an enclosure out of the elements. Likewise protect livestock or other large animals from the cold weather.
    • Move plants indoors or cover with blankets or plastic to prevent freezing.
    • Maintain a sufficient supply of heating fuel.
    • Insulate pipes and allow faucets to drip during cold weather to avoid freezing.
    • Keep fire extinguishers on hand, and make sure everyone in your house knows how to use them. House fires pose an additional risk, as people turn to alternate heating sources without taking the necessary safety precautions.
    • Do NOT bring heating devices into the home that are intended for outdoor use, such as barbecues and other cooking equipment or other fuel burning devices. These items can produce deadly carbon monoxide.
    • Learn how to shut off water valves (in case a pipe bursts).
    • Hire a contractor to check the structural ability of the roof to sustain unusually heavy weight from the accumulation of snow - or water, if drains on flat roofs do not work.
  2. Dressing for the Weather
    • Wear several layers of loose fitting, lightweight, warm clothing rather than one layer of heavy clothing. The outer garments should be tightly woven and water repellent.
    • Wear mittens, which are warmer than gloves.
    • Wear a hat.
    • Cover your mouth with a scarf to protect your lungs.
  3. Traveling with Caution
    • Have your car winterized and make sure it is working properly.
    • Install good winter tires. Make sure the tires have adequate tread.
    • Augment your car’s emergency supply kit with a shovel, windshield scraper and blankets.
    • Maintain at least a half tank of gas during the winter season.
    • Check road conditions before departing.
    • Let others know of your route and your estimated time of arrival.
  4. Recognizing Symptoms of Exposure
    • Confusion, dizziness, exhaustion and shivering are signs of hypothermia. Possibly: if you experience any of these symptoms, seek medical attention immediately.
    • Gray, white or yellow skin discoloration, numbness or waxy skin are symptoms of frostbite. If you experience any of these symptoms, seek immediate medical attention.
    • In the case of overexposure to freezing temperatures, remove wet clothing and immediately warm the body with a blanket or warm fluids like hot cider or soup. Avoid caffeine or alcohol.


Hydrant Flow Test: How do I obtain a Fire Hydrant Flow Test?

Download the attached PDF form. You can hand deliver or mail the form to the address provided. A fee of $201 must accompany the request.


If I am medically evaluated (such as a blood pressure taken, heart monitor applied, blood sugar checked, or other diagnostics performed), will I be billed?

Yes.  A First Responder fee is intended to cover the costs of medical supplies used in the evaluation and/or treatment of medical or tramatic complaints. However, if there is an economic hardship, a fee waiver may be applied for by calling Fire Administraation at 916-461-6300.

If I am transported to the hospital, who will get the bill for this service?

The fee will be submitted with the ambulance transport charge to your insurance company, Medi-Care, Medi-Cal, or you if you are uninsured. If you are billed and there is an economic hardship, a fee waiver may be applied for by calling Fire Administraation at 916-461-6300.

If I need further explanation from the Fire Department, what number do I call?

Non-urgent matters can be addressed by the administrative support staff during normal business hours at 916-461-6300.

If I need help off the floor or similar types of assistance where no major injury exists, no medical complaint exists, or there is no new onset of cognitive impairment, will I be billed?


Incident Report: I would like a copy of an incident report. How do I get a copy and is there a cost?

Yes, you can receive a copy of an incident report for the fee of $30 by completing a request form. You will need to provide the date, approximate time and location of the incident. This basic report will show a general narrative regarding the response and the department respondents. Patient care information is not available to anyone other than the patient, or through a subpoena. This is processed through our administrative office. Please allow ten days for processing. If you have any questions, please call 916-461-6300.


Inspection Fee: How much are inspection and operational permit fees?

The fee for a fire and life safety inspection is based on a schedule that considers type, occupancy use and square footage and includes the initial inspection and one re-inspection. Subsequent re-inspections may be charged additional fees. Some businesses may also require a fire code operational permit for processes considered hazardous by the fire code. 

Fire Department Fees


Inspection Fees: Why are fees charged for a fire inspection?

The purpose of establishing fees for fire safety inspections is to recover the cost of the service in accordance with the fire code.


Inspection Frequency: How often will my business be inspected?

The frequency of inspections for a business will vary depending on the types of risks associated with the business, and as required by state law.


Inspection Schedule: How do I schedule an inspection?

It depends. Fire Prevention Officers may stop by your business as part of a regular inspection route. If it is an inconvenient time for an inspection, the Fire Prevention Officer will schedule a more convenient time. If you are a new business owner or require fire code use permits, call the City of Folsom Fire Prevention Division at 916-461-6300 Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. You will be referred to the Fire Prevention Officer responsible for the inspection of your business to determine whether one is needed at this time.


Outstanding Violations: I am doing a property assessment. How do I request information on outstanding violations?

Information regarding outstanding violations can be obtained by visiting the City Clerk's website and filling out a Public Records Request Form


Permit Invoice: What if I have questions about my fire code inspection and permit invoice?

Call the City of Folsom Fire Department at 916-461-6300 or email your question to folsomfire@folsom.ca.us.


Public Education: How do I schedule Fire Department involvement in my community event or request a station tour? Examples include: station tours, site visits for public education, static displays, parades, etc.

A 30-day advance notice is hightly recommended. Complete a request form (Pub Ed Request), or you may call 916-461-6300. This request is then submitted to the Division Chief to determine resources and a return call will be made to you confirming the scheduled tour date or appearance and location.


Ride-Alongs: How do I request a ride-along with the Fire Department? What are the restrictions and requirements?

Folsom residents may participate in the fire department's ride-along program to observe first hand how firefighters respond to calls for help. Ride-along participants must be at least 18 years of age. Residents may only participate in the ride-along program one time; between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. The dress code is outlined in the Ride-Along form. All participants must fill out and submit the fire department's Ride-Along form.


Sandbags: How do I get sandbags?

Sand and bags are available at two locations in the City of Folsom:

48 Natoma Street
Next to City Hall behind Senior Arts & Cultural Center

9700 Oak Avenue Parkway
Behind Fire Station 36


Special Events: I am planning a special event. Does the Fire Department have any special requirements?

Certain activities require a separate permit from the Fire Department. An example of these activities would be erecting a tent or canopy, operating a carnival or fair, operating a special amusement building, and operating a public assembly. The Fire Department charges a fee for these permits. 


Tent Permits: I am planning a special event and would like to erect a tent.  Where can I find the tent permit application?

You will need to submit a Fire Code Permit Application form. The completed form and applicable fees can be submitted at our administrative offices at Station 35, 535 Glenn Drive.


Turning Radius: I am designing a fire apparatus access road: what is the turning radius of your fire apparatus?

Fire apparatus access road turns must be designed for a 25-foot inside turning radius and a 50-foot outside turninig radius.


Weed Complaints: How do I report dry overgrown weeds?

You can leave a detailed message on the Fire Safety line at 916-461-6315. The owner of the property will then receive a notice to comply with code requirements. After an allotted time, if the owner does not comply, the weeds will be abated by a contractor and the owner will be liable to reimburse the city for the associated costs. 


Where is the City of Folsom Fire Prevention Division located?

The City of Folsom Fire Prevention Division is located at 535 Glenn Drive. The Fire Prevention Division officers are frequently in the field. If you wish to stop by and speak with a staff member, please make an appointment first to ensure that someone will be there. You can call a Prevention Officer at 916-461-6318.