Healthy Household Habits for Clean Storm Water
Many Folsom residents begin home improvement projects this time of year. Keep the waterways clean by following these tips:
- Sweep sidewalks and patios rather than hosing them down.
- Never rinse paint brushes or cans in the street. Rinse brushes in the sink. Water-based paint cans should be dried out then put in the garbage bin.
- Use River-Friendly Pest Control methods that minimize use of toxic pesticides.
- Avoid buying oil-based paints whenever possible. Dispose of unused/unwanted oil-based paint at the household hazardous waste facility.
- Ensure that contractors you hire are not washing or discharging pollutants to the storm drain.
- Only discharge swimming pool water into the storm drain if it is free of chemicals and toxins. Rinse pool filters on the lawn, not in the street gutter.
It’s a violation of Folsom City Code to discharge pollutants into the storm drain or local waterway. Learn more about stormwater pollution prevention at http://www.folsom.ca.us/city_hall/depts/admin/stormwater/default.asp.