Back to School Safety Tips
As the school bells ring in August and students head back to class, it is important to remember it is everyone’s responsibility to keep Folsom’s kids safe. Here are a few tips from the Folsom Police Department to remember this back-to-school season.
Use Caution on the Roads
- Drive slowly and always be aware of your surroundings, especially around the time children are walking along streets and sidewalks to and from school.
- Watch out for school zones and drive the posted speed limits. Typically these areas are marked with flashing signs and other signals to identify the area and the reduced speed limits.
- Be especially careful in school or childcare parking areas.
Remind Children to be Safe While Walking or Riding Their Bikes
- Always use marked crosswalks when crossing the street and always look both ways twice.
- Watch for driveways when walking on the sidewalk and be aware of vehicles that are turning or backing up.
- Always stay on sidewalks or paths. When walking, if no sidewalk is available, walk facing traffic and stay as far to the left as possible. When riding a bike, scooter or skateboard and no sidewalk is available, ride in the same direction as traffic, in a bike lane if possible, and stay to the right.
- Always wear a helmet when on a bike, scooter or skateboard.
- Walk bikes across busy intersections.