T’is the Season for Holiday Shopping Safety
While you are busy getting ready to deck the halls and wrap the gifts, grinchy holiday thieves may be setting their sights on you. Here are tips from the Folsom Police Department to keep you from being an easy target for thieves this holiday season.
When you are out and about
- Don’t leave packages, purses, or bags in your vehicle. And don’t return to your vehicle to drop bags off, even if you are putting them in the trunk. Thieves may be watching you and seeing you place the packages in your vehicle and then leave again.
- Keep purses and wallets on your person. Don’t leave wallets, purses, or backpacks in shopping carts or on a seat while you eat.
- Remove all valuables and lock your vehicle, even when you are parked at home to discourage thieves from entering your vehicle.
When you order online or are having packages delivered
- Make sure someone is home to receive the package and reduce the risk of it being stolen off your front step. If you are not home, arrange for the package to be delivered to a trusted neighbor in your place.
- Look out for your neighbors. If you see someone who doesn’t live at the residence walk up to the front door and leave with a package, contact your neighbor to be sure it belongs to them or call the Folsom Police Department non-emergency number at 916-355-7231 with a description of the person, the package and any information about the car they were driving or the direction they may have been heading.
- Consider using order only and pick-up in-store options or a package locker delivery. The packages will be delivered and secured at the store or locker and, once you receive an email confirmation that it has arrived, you can pick it up.