Winter Holiday Safety Tips from the Folsom Fire Department
Here are a few simple holiday fire safety tips to keep you and your loved ones safe this holiday season.
- Keep flammable items, including curtains and holiday decorations, at least 3 feet away from lit candles. Consider using battery-operated candles.
- Water your Christmas trees every day since dry needles and wood catch fire more easily.
- Unplug Christmas tree lights before leaving the house or going to sleep.
- Read manufacturer’s instructions for the number of light strands to connect, and consider a power strip instead.
- Remember, some lights are intended for indoor or outdoor use, but not both.
- Use clips—not nails—to hang lights so the cords do not get damaged.
- Keep decorations away from windows and doors.
- Young children are at high risk of being burned by hot food and liquids. Keep children away from cooking areas by enforcing a “kid-free zone” of 3 feet around the stove.
- Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, or cooking food.
- Keep anything that can catch fire—oven mitts, dish towels, wooden utensils, and food packaging—away from your stovetop.
- Test your smoke alarms and tell guests about your home fire escape plan.
- Keep matches and lighters up high in a locked cabinet.
The Folsom Fire Department wishes you a happy and safe holiday season. Learn more at www.folsom.ca.us/fire.