Identifying Household Hazardous Waste

There are many factors that can contribute to a waste being considered household hazardous waste (HHW). For example, toxicity, environmental hazards, flammability, reactivity, and corrosivity are all characteristics of products that can cause them to be hazardous waste in California. Unfortunately, there's no master list of household hazardous products created by state or federal government for residents to check to determine if the products under their sinks or on their shelves are household hazardous waste.

Therefore, we must use common sense and look for warning labels on products to make our best judgment whether or not any product is household hazardous waste. Please err on the side of caution. If you suspect a product of being hazardous, treat it that way.

Warning labels on products can give us important clues that a product may be hazardous. Common warnings associated with HHW include: DANGER, CAUTION, WARNING, FLAMMABLE, POISON, REACTIVE, CORROSIVE, HARMFUL WHEN SWALLOWED and EXPLOSIVE. If you need help determining if a product in your house is a hazardous waste and cannot be disposed of in the trash, email or call us at 916-461-6730.

Acceptable Items

Here are some examples of common household hazardous products that are acceptable in our program and must not be disposed of in the regular trash:

•  Brake Fluid
•  Paint: Oil-Based, Water-Based & Latex
•  Flammable Paint Thinner, Deck Stains, Varnish, Lacquer, Shellac, and Water Repellants
•  Motor Oil, Transmission Fluid,  Oil and Fuel Filters
•  Antifreeze
•  Compressed Gas Cylinders-Propane LESS than 5 gallons or 20 lbs., Fire Extinguishers, Helium, Oxygen. 
•  Batteries (all types) 
•  TVs and Computer Monitors
•  Gasoline/Kerosene 
•  Household Aerosols
• Fluorescent Lamps, Compact Fluorescents, Metal Halide, High-Pressure Sodium (incandescent lamps can go in the trash)
•  Fats, Oils, Grease, Fryer Oil (please do not put down the drain)
•  Electronics (Including but not limited to VCRs, DVDs, Amplifiers, Printers, CPUs, Computer Accessories, Scanners)
•  Mercury-Containing Devices, Mercury Thermostats, Thermometers, and Switches
•  Chlorinated or Solvent-Based Cleaners and Degreasers
•  Acids
•  Pesticides
•  Herbicides
•  Fungicides
•  Algaecides
•  Oxidizers (Tree Stump Removers, Ammonium Nitrate Fertilizer)
•  Lead Scraps
•  Drain Cleaner
•  Paint Strippers
•  Wood Preservatives
•  Floor and Furniture Cleaners and Polishes
•  Gopher Baits and Gassers
•  Pool Chemicals
•  Poisons and Foggers
•  Chlorine Bleach or Chlorine Based Cleaners
•  Ammonia-Based Cleaners
•  Household Degreasers

Quantities and Limitations for Accepted Items

Please limit the quantities for each pick up to a combined total of: five gallons of antifreeze, five gallons of used motor oil, and 10 one-gallon cans and two five-gallon pails of paint or paint related material.

In addition to these quantities, other types of HHW should not exceed a total of five gallons or 50 pounds plus 125 pounds of Universal Waste.

Special Wastes 

•  Pharmaceuticals - Over the counter and prescription medications are accepted (except controlled substances).

•  Controlled Substances - Folsom residents can dispose of controlled substances in a secure collection bin in the lobby of the Folsom Police Department at 46 Natoma in Folsom between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday (except holidays).

•  Sharps, hypodermic needles, lancets - These items can be properly disposed of by dropping them off at one of our Sharps take back program locations.

Unacceptable Items

We cannot accept the following: Business, commercial or industrial hazardous waste, large compressed gas cylinders (greater than seven gallons), biological or infectious waste, sharps, hypodermic needles, lancets, medical waste (except pharmaceuticals), explosives (fireworks, ammunition, black powder, blasting caps, marine flares), radioactive waste (ionizing smoke detectors, Tritium signs), Asbestos (friable and non-friable), solar panels, leaking containers or containers larger than 5 gallons, non-hazardous waste (tires, appliances (large and small), treated wood waste, use our Neighborhood Clean-Up Program ).

We do not accept empty containers. Completely empty containers with no substantial free liquid in them (e.g., less than a tablespoon) are considered non-hazardous and should be disposed of in the trash or recycling bin depending on the container material type. Leave the lid or caps off. Call the Solid Waste Division at 916-461-6730 to find out if a particular container type (glass, plastic, metal or fiberboard) can go in your blue recycling cart.

Once you have determined what you have to get rid of schedule an appointment online.